The Berliner Dom (Berlin Cathedral), completed in 1905, is Berlin’s largest and most important Protestant church as well as the sepulchre of the Prussian Hohenzollern dynasty. This outstanding high-renaissance baroque monument has linked the Hohenzollerns to German Protestantism for centuries and undergone renewed phases of architectural renovation since the Middle Ages. First built in 1465 as a parish church on the Spree River it was only finally completed in 1905 under the last German Kaiser -Wilhelm II.
Heavily damaged during the war, closed until 1993, cycles of restoration have continued until 2006 including the unveiling of eight mosaics which decorate the Dome’s ceiling. The outer Dome structure was rebuilt with a simplified cupola and spires between 1975 and 1982. During the many years of division the original parishioners – over 12,000 in the 19th century - were divided into two separate parishes. It was only in 1980 that the parishioners were able to celebrate Mass again and that Baptism and Funerals were carried out.
More informationen under www.berlinerdom.de
© Fotos: www.visitBerlin.de